Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sleeping is NOT overrated...

I've had the last two days off, and I have pretty much slept through the whole two days.  I don't know if it is because I am still adjusting to the goofy hours that I work, or if it is because I am still adjusting to living here, if it is because I don't have a whole lot of things to do when I'm working, or if it is because I am truly that tired.  Yesterday, I had a training on how to distribute medication (longest 45 minutes of my life) and then went back to bed until 2 in the afternoon!  Glorious!  Today I pretty much slept from 12:30 pm till 6pm.  Sleeping tonight should be interesting...

I went on a 4-hour hike with my landlord this week up to the glacier.  It was beautiful.  The trail was in the forest for the most part, so it was very green, very cold, and very buggy.  We decided to go "off-roading" (aka off the trail) and got to the lake.  It was crazy to see so many icebergs in the lake!  She started telling me about the resident wolf, Romeo, who lives in that area.  Romeo is a lone wolf (which is very unusual), so when people bring their dogs, Romeo comes out to play.  However, when people bring their yip-yap dogs, Romeo likes to take them away for a snack.  We didn't get to see Romeo, but we saw animal trails (I kept telling myself they were Romeo's and not the probable bear trail).  There were parts of the hike we were climbing straight up and down, climbing on the side of rocks to not fall into the lake, and sliding down the mountain on our bums getting filthy dirty.  So much fun!  I was sore and so tired after - more nap time!

Work continues to be a challenge, but I think it is getting a little bit better.  When I left on Tuesday, we had six kids, and three of them are leaving by the end of the week.  However, when I went in for staff meeting today, we had three new kids show up.  I guess it's just going to be a continual thing - no rest for the weary!  I am thinking about moving to a different house that has a lot more structure.  At the new house, the kids know that if they mess up, they will go to jail for a very long time, so they are more likely to comply with staff.  So I'm going to be picking up some shifts when I can and just check out the house, so I'll see.  Who knows?  

I love the emails and love the phone calls - keep them up!  I live off them!  I still miss you all and love you!

Blessings!

2 comments:

The Little Sister said...

Yay sleep! Did you take your bear bell on your crazy hike? ^_^ I still miss you and I can't wait to see you in January. Yes I'm counting down. 188 days 'till January first! Love you!!

aunt said...

oh to be where it is cold, clean and beautiful! Not hot, smokey, smoggy, and the city!
Covet, covet, covet

Learn how to knit :)