Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Where, oh Where, has my INTERNET GONE?!?!

So this week I lost almost all connection with the outside world. Rule number 1 - get your own internet! Don't depend on someone else's connection - it will fail you! That was the most frustrating thing to wake up to one morning last week. So I am sorry if I have not responded to emails - I haven't gotten them!

There is good news though! The internet people are coming to our apt on July 7 to install internet! One more week of no internet, and then I'll be saved! Yay!

Other than that, it has been a pretty good week. I still miss home, but overall it has been good. Here are a couple funny stories from work:

One: A few nights ago, I found our boys sitting on the window sills of their rooms talking. This is not allowed - it is considered AWOL (it was about 10:45 - way past bedtime). I told them that they needed to go in their rooms and go to sleep. I check on them about five minutes later, and they're out again! I said, "This is your last chance. I've been lenient, and now you're abusing that." I left and came back five minutes later and they were out again! (I know, dumb, right?!) So I said, "You (can't say his name) are out in the rec room tonight. Come on - bring your bedding." He fought me the whole way out, and the guy he was talking to poked his head out the door and said, "You've got to be @*#& kidding me! Give us one more chance - we'll go to bed!" Me, being the stubborn person I am, said no. So the second kid said, "You are officially off the cool-staff list and on the uncool-staff list! I hope you're happy!" and slams the door. I had to bite my tongue. In a way, I graduated! I'm holding my ground, following through, even though I still have no idea what I'm doing. It was great!

Second story is not really funny, but a good story. One of the kdis here is one that I can hardly stand - he's the one who does not respect me, who is so rude, and defiant, that I go in the office and say, "I'm not working with him anymore - I can't handle him." Tonight, I was left alone with him. We actually had a great conversation! We talked about how he is having his treatment team meeting tomorrow. He doesn't think he needs long-term treatment (that's what he's heading for) and he wanted to build a case of why he should go to a 45-day program instead of a 6-12 month program. So I got to process through the pro's and con's of each, helped him understand the process of a treatment team meeting, and talked about his hope for the outcome. We also talked about what he would do if it didn't go his way and how he would respond. We also talked about his family and how his relationship with his mom has caused him to be the way he is and some of the anger built up there. It was a fantastic talk. When the rest of the kids came back, there was a change in the kid - our relationship had changed. Even my other staff member said something was different. It was so cool! Yay - finally something good in this job!

We are slowly getting our apartment put together - pictures on the wall, real furniture, dishes, etc. I've truly realized how much I hate moving and decorating. My roommate, bless her heart, is so into the apartment, and I feel so bad that I'm not. I've pretty much given her free reign and just tell her when I don't like something. I can only handle so much at a time...

I don't have any crazy adventure stories for now. Maybe on my days off...

I have missed the internet! It's so good to write to all you who read this (I don't think many do, but those of you who do, thanks!). I hope all is well at home! I miss you all and love you very much!

Blessings!

5 comments:

Mom said...

I knew you could do it! I'm so excited that you made it to the cool staff list.

Love, Mom

14 Days!

aunt said...

Wait, isn't she on the un-cool staff now? Good job with that too!
Translated: un-cool: Structure, boundaries, security, consistent.

lisa page said...

ugggggg. I'm on a ranch where there are grizzly bears. I have to carry bear spray if i walk anywhere. lame! ha ha ha ha. but makes me think of you, which is not lame. love you!

The Little Sister said...

YAY! You're making a difference in kid's lives. I'm so so proud of you. Miss you and love you lots!

181 days 'till January!

Growlybear said...

What?! you're no longer on the "Cool Staff List?" You're officially on the UN-COOL List? Oh no! whatever will you do to be considered cool again?

Maybe a new pair of shades, a tattoo, some body-piercing, and flourescent head of hair might do the trick! I've tried it and it's changed my life completely!

Welcome to the grown up world of un-cool.