Tuesday, June 3, 2008

10417 Fox Farm Trail, Juneau, AK 99801


My new mailing address!  It would be in the care of the Harris family, but there it is!

I arrived here last night after an eight-hour trip.  It was so strange to me to land at an airport at 9:45 pm and it still being so light outside!  It didn't get dark until a little before 11 - this is going to take some getting used to!

It was so good to step off the plane and see a familiar, jumping, smiling friend.  My life here officially started!  I was so tired after going through an incredibly emotional day and then traveling, but as soon as she started talking a mile a minute, I woke right up.  Wow - I'm really doing this!

We got to our place.  It's super cute!  There is not much furniture yet, but we're slowly taking care of that.  I don't have a bed yet, so we had a slumber party in Bri's room.  We didn't go to bed until about 1:30 am Juneau time, which is 2:30 Ca time.  Yes, by the time we went to bed, the sun was down.  However, when I woke up at 5:30 Juneau time, the sun was up, and it looked like it was 10 in the morning - I'm going to have to get used to this too...

I got to see our backyard for the real first time this morning.  We are literally up against the forrest (this is for you, Lisa!).  That's what the picture is of - the backyard.  The beauty is amazing, yet I can't help but miss having cars go down my street at home, the buildings, the smog, the traffic - and I haven't even been here a full day!  

The sun peeks out every once and a while and there are patches of blue sky peeking out behind the clouds.  I love it!  It's about 56 outside my door right now, and I'm ready to open all the windows!  

I can't help but question what God has in store for me here.  It is so different from all that I am used to, and I feel like a fish out of water.  I don't feel like I'm prepared for anything I'm here for, and have second thoughts about moving.  But I am hopeful.  Psalm 55 says to cast ALL your anxieties on the LORD and his promise is that he won't let the righteous fall.  Even in my anxiety, my God is a sustaining God.  He want's he here for such a time as this (that's somewhere in Ruth...) and I need to be obedient.  It's hard, but it's a great adventure.

I miss home terribly, and all of you there!  Keep the emails coming - I will do my best to get back to you!  Love love love!

Blessings

4 comments:

lisa page said...

Oh Luzzles my buzzles,
I feel your pain!
It's the stupidest things that I find myself missing... It is getting better though. I'm not missing things as much as I was, but oh man, I still do miss many people. I'm learning to continually give it to God. It's hard.
I like that you brought up Ruth. I think that there is so much to learn in that story -- looking at who she is and her character. Man oh man. My dad actually brought up the story of Ruth to me a few days before I was leaving for here. He said that he was proud that I was taking a risk to follow and walk in faith. I can't help but feel the same way about you.
We are far away from our homes, but we aren't alone. Who knows whats in store, but I'm excited. :)
Call if you ever need/want to talk !
much love, lisa

Mom said...

I love what you've done with your backyard! Where are you going to put the fountain?

We miss you too and are very proud of you!

Love you forever!
Mom

The Little Sister said...

Miss you and I want your backyard!

Favorite Babysitter said...

Hi, Laurie-Lou!
It appears you've got yourself in a pickle, or .. should I say a forest? Hmm - I guess that Dr Seuss book for high school graduation was appropriate - "Oh, the places you'll go!" I can't believe my little Laurie has pursued such great adventures in her life (well, really, I can, but it sounds good, doesn't it!). I am so very proud of you; proud to have known you ALL your life; proud to watch you grow (physically, emotionally, spiritually); proud to see the woman of God that you've become! Enjoy your adventure, Friend! (BTW - now that you're in the middle of all that green & beauty, I'm sure you totally understand why I moved to Seattle 14 years ago, and stayed!!) XOXO