Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Get Ready...Get Set...

Who knew moving two states and a country away would be so challenging?  For those of you who don't know, I am a horrible packer - just ask my sister.  I hate it - seriously.  I get so unmotivated and then throw things into boxes just to say that it is done.  Really though, all I've done is create more chaos.  But it's coming.  I have a few more things to pack and some clothes, and I am done!  Ready, set, AHHH! ;-)

As I was looking through clothes to take, clothes to leave, etc, I noticed something.  I do not have many "Alaska" clothes.  My clothes are for Hawaii (last summer...) and So Cal (all my life).  It's very strange to think that I am going to need a whole new wardrobe.  Many ladies would kill for an excuse to go shopping for new clothes, but I can honestly say that it is a bit like packing for me.  I hate it just as much.  So I decided since I have a "free afternoon" with nowhere to be and no people to see, that I would just go to Ontario Mills (why there?) and get some "Alaska" clothes.  Right...

The first problem is that I live in So Cal and am moving to Alaska.  Alaska just recently started hitting the 60's in temperature.  I'm going to freeze.  I do love the cold, and am looking forward to the weather, but here's my problem.  All the stores are having their beginning of summer sales - for So Cal.  No one has long-sleeved anything!  As I was going through my clothes at home, I noticed that I don't have any jackets.  In fact, I have two long-sleeved shirts, two pairs of jeans, and no jacket or sweater of any sort.  Not good.  And would you believe that stores in So Cal do not have winter gear in their stores at the end of May in So Cal?  I know!  The audacity of it!  Hence my next problem - finding jeans and long sleeved - or warm - clothes so that I will not have to mail-order many things.  I had a small amount of success, but it was painful...;-)  I'm really hoping that tank tops are alright in Juneau.

Six days till departure.  It's coming so fast and I still have so many people to see, things to do, and goodbyes to say.  Pray for me!

Blessings!

4 comments:

heather said...

yeah...you do like cold...I remember a freezing cold mod :) I am so excited for you, Laurie! This sounds like an awesome adventure and I am so proud of you for taking the chance. It also sounds right up your alley to be working with the troubled teen-types...not kids...ever...but :) I feel like it's been forever since we've talked, but I'm excited that I can at least keep up with you on blog. Much love, I'll be praying for the new adventure!

lisa page said...

Luzzles! I'm calling you tonight. we need to talk.

Unknown said...

Laurie! Did I teach you nothing?! :) Go to sporting goods stores to get warm clothes, they have them year round and they will last longer than anything you can get in the mall. REI, Sports Chalet, etc. But seriously, I wouldn't have any practical clothes for Alaska either...I'm so excited for you though! I want to visit!!!

leesh said...

blessings on your travels...keep me posted! can't wait to hear all your amazing stories.