Friday, June 12, 2009

Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace (How sweet the sound)
That sav'd a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears reliev'd;
How precious did that grace appear,
The hour I first believ'd!

Thro' many dangers, toils and snare,
I have already come;
'Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall profess, within the vail,
A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who call'd me here below,
Will be for ever mine.

I think I've known this song my entire life. I can't remember a time I haven't known this song. When I was young, I remember really didn't like this song: it was too old, the melody was the same, it was LONG, and I didn't really understand the words. I used to cringe when the music people at church started to play this song. When I had to learn it on the piano for piano lessons, I think I practiced this song the least. I really hated this song!

I watched the movie this morning for the second time. What an incredible testimony! Both for William Wilberforce and for John Newton. They changed lives and changed history! Their honesty and determination changed lives and made them better. I want to be like them. I want the endurance and the honesty and the will to change lives like they did.

I could sit here and pick apart the verses of this song. They are so true; so solid; so deep; so beautiful. I look back and realize that my hating this song really did nothing for me. All the times that I missed out on singing with those that have gone before me: "Amazing grace! How sweet the sound! That saved a wretch like me!" But as I sing them now, I stand in amazement of God's grace. His love, His grace, is what has saved me. I am not worthy, but I am so thankful. As John Newton said in the movie, "I am a great sinner, and God is a great Savior." Save me.

If you haven't seen the movie, I highly encourage you to! Especially to the end. At the very end of the movie, there is a beautiful version of the song. I can't find it on youtube, so you'll have to watch the movie yourself. It's pretty incredible!

I'll update you more on life in a later post. For now, rest in His grace. It's pretty amazing...

Blessings!

1 comment:

The Little Sister said...

I love that one too. Do you realize that was one of the last songs we played for Grandpa? Right before he died, Aunt Evie started singing Amazing Grace. There's a lot of meaning in that song.