Saturday, December 27, 2008

All in a Day's Work



It's been a crazy week.  Lots of little things happened, and a couple big things.

I ended up getting the Subaru.  It wouldn't start that day because the starter system was broken - sound familiar?  The dealer assured me nothing else was wrong with the car, so I went ahead and bought it.  It has started this whole week, so I guess that's a good sign, right?  It's a cute little car, and it'll get me around.  So at least I have some way to get around.  This is a good thing!

Christmas was fun.  I woke up really early to video chat with my family and watch them open presents and wish I was there.  It was good to see them though.  I felt a little at home...Then I got ready for work and worked with my girls for the rest of the day.  We had prime rib and mashed potatoes for dinner, so it was all good.  Pretty low key, not too much girl drama, and a relaxing night.  

Yesterday I went to work and took the girls sledding.  A few funny stories.  You know how when the snow on tree branches gets too heavy, and all the snow falls?  Well, in native Alaskan culture, there are little evil men that live in the trees and woods.  When the snow falls, it is a warning sign to get out of the forest, otherwise they will get you.  So, while we were walking trying to find a good place to sled, the snow would fall and the girls would freak out.  We finally found a good hill, and started to sled.  All of a sudden, all of the trees around us lost their snow.  The girls didn't like that at all.  It was pretty comical.  So we continued sledding and a bad thing happened...
...All I know is that at the top of the hill, my wrist was fine.  At the bottom of the hill, my wrist was not fine.  I got to the bottom of the hill and couldn't move my wrist or bend my fingers.  I kept trying, and "walking off the pain", but it wasn't working too well.  There was no immediate swelling, so I didn't think I broke anything.  So, to distract myself from the pain, I initiated a snowball fight.  Rule number one: if you are from California, never get in a snowball fight with an Alaskan - they WILL beat you!  And hit you every time.  And make the best snowballs.  It's quite a learning experience.  Rule number two: never get into a snowball fight right after you injure your throwing hand - it doesn't help.  After loosing at the snowball fight, and hiking back to the house, I looked at my wrist and realized that it was pretty dang swollen.  Our clinician Doug said I had to go to the ER to get it checked out.  He voluntarily took me down to the hospital.  Five hours later, I went home with a very bad sprain (no broken bones!) and a splint.  Yay for that.  Right handed splints are not fun when you're right-handed...So I'm learning to do many things with my left hand - ha!

I got to see Aunt Evie, Uncle Leo, and Daniel while they were at my house the other night.  Let me tell you, it was SO funny - it was chaos.  I don't even remember half of what happened, I just remember laughing and having a stomach ache that night!  My family was there too - it was quite hilarious.  So thanks to all of you!
I went on a snow hike with my friend Crystal.  It was beautiful and reminded me of Narnia.  It started to snow pretty hard while we were out, so we turned back before getting to the end of the trail.  But it was beautiful and so much fun.  We came back to my house and drank hot tea and chatted for a while, so that was fun.  
I get to work a double shift tomorrow, and then six days next week, so pray for me!

I love you and miss you!  Hope all is well and Happy New Year!

Blessings!

3 comments:

Mom said...

I love video chat too! Your pictures are fantastic - you finally got to make a snow angel! Miss you too, but I'm sleeping better knowing life your life is running smoother as long as you stay off sleds =)

Holly Brim said...

Guess I shouldn't complain to you about how cold I am right now?

lisa page said...

Yeah! Happy New Year to you too! Phone date, soon!