Sunday, October 3, 2010

Everything I Ever Needed to Learn (or need to continue learning)...

...I learned in Alaska!

Well, not really. But close! These last few months have been some growing ones, but in a good way. Let me explain.

1. I learned that there is no doctor in Juneau that truly understands Type 1 Diabetes. They all understand Type 2 very well - half the population has it! But since Type 1 is so different, it's been quite a struggle to find a good doctor. I think I FINALLY may have found one. I was super impressed with her during my first visit...I see her again tomorrow - here's to hoping!!!

2. I learned that going down stairs quickly (i.e. tumbling) is not a good idea. Picture this: Me, in heels, at the top of the stairs. Fast forward about .2 seconds and you will see Me at the bottom of the stairs, sideways, shoes and files scattered all over the place. I have no clue what caused the .2 seconds. All I know is that when all was said and done, I had a sprained ankle, sprained wrist, and a broken middle finger. Talk about an awkward finger to break! I was cleared to take the splint off after 2.5 weeks, which I happily did! Which leads me to 3.

3. I learned I am not a very good volleyball player - especially with a broken finger! Some friends and I joined a team (Lakeside Ladies) the first part of September. Out of the 24 or so games that we've played, we've won 2! But oh my goodness! It is such a fun game! I sit and laugh the entire time because half the team knows what they are doing and the other half has no idea what they're doing. I'm in the latter group. It is so much more fun to play than it is to sit out! (I had to sit out because of my finger for the first six games. I was not happy...)

4. I learned (or re-learned) that singing on a worship team is one of the most fun things to do! I joined one of the worship teams at my church. It's quite different from playing with Linda and Dad, let me tell you! The team we have is still trying to learn how to play together. With Linda and my Dad, we sit down and jam - no practice necessary! But it's so cool. I even got to use sign language! It's pretty amazing to be able to worship the Creator with a whole congregation! Love it!

5. I learned (and am continuing to learn) that Alaska is not my home. As beautiful as it is here, and despite the amazing friendships I have been able to develop, Alaska is not my home. I miss my home. I miss my friends and family. I miss the familiarity of Riverside.

6. I continue to learn that being human means you make mistakes. And I've made plenty! It's heartbreaking to see the people I care about make poor choices, or have other people make poor choices about those folks I hold dear. It saddens me to see the hurt people go through. It's sad to see a path friends take end in tragedy.

7. I learned that even though my life continues to be busy and hectic, that patience is not one of my strong points. I find the busyness helps to distract me, but that I am not a patient person. I want to get out of here. I want things to happen now, and not have to wait on anything or anyone. But that's not what God has for me now.

I'm reading through Genesis right now, and the story of Abraham hits close to home. He was promised to be the Father of Nations. But he was getting old, and he and his wife Sarah took matters into their own hands - they didn't wait for God. That's where I am right now. I just want to take things into my own hands and go. But as I continue to read, I read that DESPITE Abraham and Sarah's decision, God still blessed him with many children - he ended up becoming the Father of Nations. I hold that promise close to my heart. I'm still waiting. I'm trying to be patient. I'm trying to wait for God's timing, because deep down, I know it's going to be totally awesome.

8. Lastly, I have learned there is JOY. This whole blog has been nothing but complaining! Even in the trials, in the learning, in the pain, there is JOY. I look outside and see the leaves changing colors and marvel at the beauty of it. I go to worship practice, and my little friend Zach sees me, runs with arms open wide saying, "WORIE!!!!!" I get to hang out with some pretty sweet teens every Tuesday night. I am sleeping with fewer nightmares! God is good! All the time!

Blessings!

2 comments:

Mom said...

You are amazing. I'm learning I have to be patient too. God's timing is best (He just needs to consult us =) ). Love you much!

The Little Sister said...

Yay for updates! Why is it the best things always take the longest to get here? I hear ya! I'm glad you're learning a lot and I hope out of all of this you have learned to NOT hit the broken finger with the volleyball! Love you and miss you!!!